I tasted Quinoa salsa salad at our local Whole Foods recently. I decided to tweak it desi way!
Quinoa Chaat Salad
1 cup quinoa
1 small onion, peeled & chopped finely
1 small red but firm tomato, chopped finely
1 small cucumber, peeled & chopped finely
1 medium potato, boiled, peeled & chopped finely
2 green chilies, minced (optional for additional heat)
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped finely
1 cup boiled garbanzo beans
1 lemon, squeezed
1 recipe chaat chutneys
A pinch of chaat masala
salt to taste
1. Cook quinoa according to the instructions of the packet. Fluff with a fork and let it cool down completely.
2. Just before serving, add all the vegetables and beans.
3. Add salt, chaat masala.
4. Add chutneys per preference
5. Garnish with sev and serve immediately.
1. Do not add vegetables in advance as it may leave too much moisture.
2. Adjust the amount of chutneys per individual likings.
3. I do not know the Indian name for quinoa in any of the Indian languages. Since this whole grain is cultivated in Peru and other South American countries, I am not sure if it has any Indian name.